Weekend of 07MAY11

Weekend of 07APR11

Thursday -
Adding the extra day in here for a rather special event 
happening Thursday night; My buddy Dave's commissioning ceremony 
where he was finally given his 2nd Lieutenants bars.  His mom and 
brother pinned them onto his shoulders, he got his first salute 
from one of the old Master Sergeants that teaches at NEU, and my
 buddy was officially an officer in the Oklahoma National Guard.  
After the ceremony we (myself, his old roommate, and his Mom, 
Brother, and sisters) headed to the Union Oyster House for a 
celebratory dinner.  

Dinner was amazing, but the best part came from the scheming that 
went into paying the bill.  When the bill was delivered Daves 
mom JUMPED to grab it first, literally knocking over glasses in 
order to make sure Dave didn't get to it first.  The problem?  
Dave had "went to the bathroom" earlier, actually stopping by 
the waitress station and giving them a credit card first.  The 
Bill that we thought we were getting was simply the card and 
signature tab, nothing we could do.  Turns out they do teach 
tactics in ROTC :P

After dinner everyone headed their own ways, but Dave his brother 
Mike and I met up later on at Cigar Masters for a celebratory 
drink and smoke.  The place was packed, way more than I'd ever 
seen before, but we were able to get our own corner, which slowly 
emptied out until it was just us four in the area when we left.  
Chilling out and congratulating Dave, smoking and sipping wine or 
beer.  A good night indeed.

Friday -
Lazy day at work, spent finishing projects off and helping out 
with training sessions.  The bike ride how was the highlight of 
the day thus far, where I had a light wind and pretty nice sun 
overhead.  I was meeting Dave and his family at eight, so I 
worked out a bit, took a quick shower, and arrived at the 
restaraunt a few minutes ahead of the Siegfried clan.  We ate a 
great dinner at Wagamama Noodles, chowing down on Ramen and spare 
ribs.  Afterwards we all headed to the candy store to let his 
sisters stock up, then we headed over to ColdStone Creamery, 
picked up some yummy (double-reece's for me), and walked the 
ladies back to their hotel.

Afterward leaving his mom and sisters at the hotel I helped Dave 
and his brother move the remainder of his stuff out of the dorm, 
shoved it all into my car, and headed back to my place.  by that 
point it was around Midnight, so we chilled for a bit, then hit 
the hay after I set Dave up in the spare room.

Saturday - 
VERY laid back day on Saturday, with Dave and I just chilling out, 
playing video games, and cooking up some food.  Don't remember 
what lunch was, but dinner was a pretty solid set; cheese burgers,
 beer, and Jalapeno poppers with bacon.  Seriously, what more 
could you ask for?

Ohh, I think Dave and I also headed out to Regal Theaters to 
watch Thor.  It was epic :) I did see Kittie and Teda there, 
but employed my best learned evasion techniques and didn't have
to deal with any extra drama for the day.  Whew.

Sunday - 
Sunday was Mothers day, and so I headed home in the morning to give 
my mom a hand in the garden.  

When I got there, we had a quick snack, and I started helping her 
clear some of the flower beds of the weeds and leaves that had 
accumulated since the last summer.  It was pretty hard work thanks 
to a bed of Lilly of the Valley, which completely saturate the soil
 with thick rubbery roots.  I was finally able to shred through them 
all though, taking the hoe to them like there was no tomorrow.  

We worked the garden for a few hours, and then around 1800 we headed 
inside for some hot dogs, beer, and chips&salsa.  After dinner, We 
headed into the dining room where Steve had set up a huge epic 
Warhammer 40,000 battle; three sides, two objectives each, an 
entire city worth of ruins, and lots of dice to roll.  I took 
command of the Chaos army; two platoons worth of slavering hellspawn, 
dedicated to the god of combat and blood.  My mom took the helm of 
the Eldar, an army of sapce-elves specialized in sniping, and deadly 
walker units.  Steve was in charge of the Imperial Guard,  a 
mechanized army of regular human troops, facing the untold horrors 
of the universe with only their massive balls to protect them.

The battle took FOREVER (we actually had to stop, and resumed two 
weekends hence), but it was a really good time, seeing my bezerkers 
leading the slaughter of the elves, and my artillary and heavy armor 
dealing serious blows to the imperials.  I headed home around 
midnight, and headed to sleep thinking about the slaughter :)

Leave a Reply