Surf and turf adventures, on a weekend in July
19, 20 & 21 July, 2013
- Meet Alex at her place
- Roll out to Boston Rock Gym
- Climb! Climb semi-weak, but not too horribly. Lead a few fun ones, and rock out the roof
- Head out, get dinner at TGI Fridays ‘cause we’re classy like that
- Explore old castles and boulder on the walls
- Home james
- Wake up a bit early and start the day off… slowly. Breakfast in my usual way
- Chirag calls, he’ll be late. Mike calls, he wants me to pick him up. Fine, w/e.
- We roll out @ 14:00, instead of 12:00
- Grab some quick snacks and lunch along the way
- Meet Alex in Rye at 15:45, instead of 2:00, but we’re not too bad off.
- Grab the Kayaks and head into the water! The ocean water!
- Kayak out to a small spit of rock, and hang out there for a bit
- Chirag gets dunked while trying to save the Kayak. *My hero!*
- Head back inland… urg. Ben is getting sick
- Bring the Kayaks in, hang out a bit
- Alex’s dad gives her permission to hang out all night
- Drive back to Cambridge Via backroads and Methuen
- Park @ Mikes, hang out. Order pizza. Get beer.
- Sarah and James show up, we all chill and smoke Hookah for ages. Fun.
- Keep chilling and shooting the breeze
- Alex and I head back to my place, hang out on the roof for ages, just chilling and stargazing
- Up early… way early… 8:20 early.
- Make some breakfast and read for a bit. Get stuff done around the house.
- Meghan arrives a bit after 12:30, Alex gets in around 13:00, we pack up the car and ROLL OUT
- Drive to Crow Hill… I love my convertible. It makes drives amazing
- Grab some lunch at the grocery on the way
- Get there, walk in, meet tons of people nearby
- One team of three is there before us, so we move onto the unoccupied climb:
- Layback Crack (5.6 + Trad) – aptly named, it’s a straight-up layback. Pretty clean and simple, and I move up it without much trouble
- Tom’s Dilemma (5.6 Trad) – not really much of a dilemma, this is one of my favorite climbs out there. Alex took the lead, but ended up having to bail off it after running into some head-game issues. I cleared it out and we spent some time playing on it.
- From here, we rolled on. The two climbs took a while to work through, since we weren’t in any rush and we spent a bit of time exploring variations to the main routes.
- All that was left was the long drive home… but thankfully, it was a perfect evening and route 2 was perfectly open… a long and empty highway just waiting to be driven.