Christmas and New Years break, 2016 into 2017.
Overarching plot – where, when, why, and how
Sarah and I like to take big trips. We also like to take small trips… but these posts are about a big trip.
Specifically, these posts are about our trip to the United Kingdom, over Christmas and New Years of 2016 into 2017. Our main plan was to visit London on our own, then trend up into Scotland for a bit of a Scottish Christmas and New Years.
Overarchingly, our plan was broken up into four segments:
- Explore London – we’d fly directly into Heathrow, and spend two days exploring London before taking an overnight train North, into the Scottish Highlands and the city of Aberdeen
- Visit with Family in Aberdeen, spending Christmas at Sarah’s parents house
- Travel down to Edinburgh with the family, explore a bit, and see what sights there are to be seen
- Travel back up to Aberdeen, and spend the rest of the trip exploring and ticking off all the boxes for adventures that we’d aimed for
- Fly out of Aberdeen, and enjoy the flight back as best we can!
But the biggest goals of the trip were to relax, be happy, not try to force ourselves to do anything excessive or intense, and generally enjoy the opportunity to check out a country as steeped in history as Scotland!