My last day in Cambridge, at least for now


Sunday, 24-May-2015


My last day in Cambridge started as I love them to start – not with an alarm, but with the birds chirping in the vines outside the back porch. I’d slept in the living room, since all of my stuff (including the bed) had been moved out the previous day, and my head was right next to the screen door leading onto the porch.

A drive to the uHaul, followed by a trip to Dunkin Donuts, saw me awake and starting the final process of stuffing tons of stuff into trash bags, and moving the already-stuffed trash bags into the yard.

It was a bit of a depressing job, to be honest. I tossed tons of condiments and other foods that I didn’t want, need, or have room to carry with me. Perfectly good quail eggs, ketchup, jam, and tons of other minor things that I truly wish that I had room for went into the trash. But that’s part of moving far – you can’t legitimately ship eggs, so… away they go.


My roommate and our landlord showed up as well – and the official walkthrough of the house went extremely well – he was only looking for major structural damage, and actually told my roommate and I to stop c

leaning up, that it wasn’t necessary since they’d be doing renovations. And renovations make a bigger mess than we could even imagine making, so it really didn’t matter.


So instead, we just chatted. Talked about the history of the house, our plans for the next few years, and where we were all going after this. It was nice; you could tell that spring was really seeping into everyone’s bones, after the truly horrid winter that we’d all just survived.

With the walkthrough done, the landlord headed out, and the rest of us (Lizzie, her boyfriend Chris, and myself) headed into Davis Square for a good breakfast. Chirag met us at the Foundry, and we all pigged out on the amazing Brunch Buffet that’s become a semi-traditional Sunday adventure for me.


We ate, we made merry, and we all did our best to ignore the fact that we’d be going separate ways in a few hours.

Then Lizzie and Chris headed out, and Chirag and I went back to the house to clear out the last of the bits laying around.

Then Chirag headed out, and I went to the car, and drove off into the future.

Leave a Reply