Trip to Vantage
This trip happened a while ago, and I honestly never really have the mental energy to write it up particularly well. But I did write out this quick summary, so please forgive the plot holes, lack of details, and general tomfoolery and poor quality writing below.
- Drive out, via Panda Express and DQ!
- Takes longer than expected, but we still find a pretty solid campsite for ourselves.
- Sleep sleep
- Cold morning… like, super cold. Too cold to climb, so breakfast and then wander a bit. Recon, right?
- Lotsa people leave… boo, weenies.
- Back to camp from Recon, then have some lunch and head back to the Sunshine Wall to climb
- Climb some super fun routes, mostly just adventure climbing up random interesting looking bits
- Ollie doesn’t like the slot canyon… but she gets over it, or rather, through it. Get it? Through it?
- Finish off with a tough 5.9… I think it was called “Vantage Point” that I can’t actually finish, because fuck the last move. It’s scary. I cheat past it though, to get an amazing final panorama of the whole valley at sunset.
- Back to camp, make an excellent dinner of chili cheese dogs (and a mouse for Ollie, though we didn’t let her keep it long enough to actually eat), and sleep!
- Wake up, it’s much nicer today, so we head back to the same area and do some more routes!
- Actually… they’re super full, because there’s a ton of people. So we end up doing a lot of the same routes, and some of the other ones that we saw people on the day before. They’re fun, and not as popular… but they’re not as long, and not exactly what Sarah wanted to climb, which is a bummer.
- Note, high entertainment value from the group of new climbers next to us.
- Sarah drew while Ben made lunch of Mac and Cheese in the wind.
- Pack up, and head back home!