One last Charles River kayaking adventure


Kayaking the Charles, one last time

Saturday, 16-May-2015



In 2014, I spent a ton of time on the water.

In the early part of the year I bought myself a yearly membership to the Charles River Canoe and Kayak group – basically giving me unlimited kayak rentals for the whole summer.

Normally, I don’t usually do memberships like this, but in this case it was too good to pass up – $120 for a year, vs. $18 an hour. And since I’m me, I intended on getting every cent of my moneys worth.

So I kayaked after work.

I took dates on double-kayaking trips, and sometimes even rented two kayaks (I could get a second one for free as well) if I didn’t think we needed to be in super close proximity to each other for the date.

I intended to get a membership for 2015, but then I got laid off. So I held off. And held off some more.

I didn’t go Kayaking at all, until I found myself packing up and getting ready to move. Then I realized that this would be my last chance to paddle down the esplanade.

(Ed Note: Does this read like an ad for the rental company to anyone else? Just me? Ok, good. Please continue)


So Chirag and I met up for breakfast. Because that is how all adventures should start – with a healthy and filling breakfast. In this specific instance, an Indian buffet that we stopped into in Davis Square.

The creepy thing was that the entire restaurant was empty when we arrived. It was just a buffet, three broken TVs (Yep, they were all showing the “if you want to watch a program, then connect this TV to a cable system” prompt), and too many wait staff for a current clientele of zero.

But don’t forget; Chirag and I are trend setters. Not 10min after we sat down and got some deliciously spicy treats, the place was nearly full, with tons of families and random Somerville hipster groups.

So we ate. Then we took the T. Then we got in a Kayak. Two Kayaks, to be precise.

Then we explored.


<Ed Note, again: Please excuse the lack of pictures yet again. Ben still doesn’t have access to his desktop where they’re all stored)


We went up into the esplanade, checked out the sailing club, and generally made nuisances of ourselves to the geese patrolling the area. It was perfect – the flowers were in bloom, and the water was still semi-clean, since the geese had only just recently arrived from the South.

Johnny called us about 45min in, to let us know that he would be putting into the water soon. So we took the chance to paddle back, link up with him, and then go through the esplanade from the other direction.

Our first run had been going west-bound; starting at the sailing club and moving West. The second run started near the Mass Ave bridge, and moved East toward the Longfellow bridge.

It’s technically the same stuff either way, but taking it from both directions gives different views – different shorelines, and different sides to the bridges. We also got a chance to stop off on one of the docks, which is always a nice little bonus.

An excellent day on the water, by any measure.

Leave a Reply